ROLL 2. Puffing Billy, June 1965.
All photos © Les Brown. Not to be used for Publication.
2-1. NA7. Belgrave. This was the last of the special ballast trains run to Emerald before the official re-opening.
2-2. NA7. Belgrave – Selby.
2-3. NA7. Selby – Menzies Creek. Known as “Tanks”, this was the site of the landslide in 1953 which precipitated the line’s closure, and where volunteers built a deviation around it to re-open the line. Before it was closed, engines would stop and take on water here (the actual tank was about where the engines is in the picture) and attend to other engine requirements. Guards would check tickets and passengers would get off to stretch their legs, yarn with anyone around and pick flowers and blackberries.
2-4. NA7. Menzies Creek.
2-5. NA7. Menzies Creek.
2-6. NA7. Menzies Creek - Clematis.
2-7. NA7. Clematis.
2-8. NA7. Clematis - Emerald.
2-10. NA7. Emerald. Taken from the top of the old Goods Shed.
2-11. Emerald. The area to the left directly in front, formerly occupied for many years by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, is now the Puffing Billy Emerald Workshops, where carriage and wagon construction and repairs are carried out.
2-12. NA7. Emerald. Having been stranded at Emerald since the landslide in 1953, the NU Louvre Van was now being moved to Belgrave.